For Members and Artists

Log In Here

Not A Member?

Join Black Fret

Want to Help?

Volunteer
|
Donate

Contact Us

Reach Out

Grants

Home/Grants
Grants 2017-04-21T13:34:33+00:00

As of March 2017:

0
Members have funded
0
in grants to
0
bands consisting of
0
musicians

Black Fret Artists have used those funds to:

CREATE

0
Songs Written
0
Songs Recorded
0
Songs Released

PERFORM

0
US Performances
0
International Performances
0
Charity Performances

Black Fret community directed grants are awarded on the basis of artistic excellence to musicians select by our Artist Selection Process. Artists selected in a calendar year become eligible to receive their grant funds over the course of the following calendar year by participating in the Black Fret Artist program.

As we grow Black Fret hopes to provide additional programs offering funding to artists that will utilize a diverse set of selection criteria.

Size of Grants ($)
The dollar amount of an individual grant paid to a Black Fret Artist shall be set annually by the Board of Directors based on feedback from local artists on the costs associated with creating and performing their work. 2015 Black Fret Artists received either a major grant of $12,000 or a minor grant of $4,200. We expect that the major grants shall grow to $25,000 as we reach our limit on Members.

Number of Grants
Once we grow our grant amounts to $25,000 our goal shifts to focus on growing the number of grants we give out each year. Our goal is to be able to fund a long list of local musicians in a sustainable manner.

Governance
In order to ensure funds are utilized in furtherance of Black Fret’s charitable mission, grants will be paid out to Artists upon the completion of discrete milestones in the process of creating and performing new music and by providing community service. Artists may choose from a menu of deliverables to fulfill this requirement for funding. For example, an Artist may unlock up to $1,000 per new song through completing and evidencing three distinct steps in the creative process: 1) Writing: $300 for submission of new lyric and a demo recording; 2) Recording: $400 for submission of an invoice from a reputable third party recording studio or audio engineer; and (3) Release: $300 for releasing a new song to the public.

Artists may unlock 60% of their total grant prior to June 30th and the remaining 40% in the second half of the year.

About Our Artists

About Our Artists

2016 Artists

2016 Nominees

2015 Artists

2015 Nominees

2014 Artists

2014 Nominees

Become A Member

Join Black Fret

Connect with Black Fret

Recent News

Contact Black Fret

Email:
sustain@blackfret.org

Mail may be sent to:
Black Fret
PO Box 29628
Austin, TX 78755